Thursday, September 07, 2006

A yummy tempeh meal

I forgot how much I love tempeh! I haven't had marinated tempeh in a while (however, I've had tempeh bacon, but that's not as satisfying as marinated tempeh). I was planning on making 5-spice marinated tempeh tonight, but they don't sell 5-spice powder where Rachel works, so I had to make a different kind. Pooh. Here's what we had for dinner tonight:


Mostly freegan: Baked butternut squash* with a wedge of lime* to make it look fancy shmancy, sauteed kale* with garlic*, tempeh marinated in tamari, brown rice vinegar, minced ginger*, minced garlic*, apricot marmalade, ground coriander, and black pepper, and then wasabi smashed purple potatoes* with scallions*. So almost everything was free (the asterisks are what Rachel brought home), and one (of the two) tempeh packages was super cheap at 80 cents (including Rachel's 20% discount), reduced because it was expiring soon. The tempeh was the best part of the meal; I didn't put enough wasabi in the potatoes, the butternut squash was old so it wasn't very sweet, and the garlic in the kale was very pungent because I got kind of side tracked when I was making it and I wasn't thinking so I put in the garlic after the kale was done and didn't cook the garlic. Garlic breath anyone?




This is a kind of crummy picture but it's a picture of Pomegranate sorbet found in the Millenium Cookbook. All it calls for is pomegranate juice and maple syrup. It was so delicious! We like to make fun of Susan because she has what we call an over-developed sour taste bud (a long time ago Rachel and I used to get sour patch kids, and once we gave one to Susan and her eye started twitching, haha). Anyway, she thought the sorbet was too sour, so she couldn't eat all of hers. More for us is what I say.

This was the first thing I made out of the Millenium cookbook, and I hadn't really taken a good look at it until today. My goodness, the recipes are exquisite! I can't wait to make more stuff from this book.

P.S. Dilip, if you're reading this, I can't comment on your blog now that I've switched over to Beta and you don't allow anonymous comments, but I think your top 5 is fabulous!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

the sorbet really looks good and refreshing!

Nikk said...

That is by far the most colorful meal I've seen in a long time! I've always wanted to try purple potatoes, but I can very rarely find them...

I probably just don't know where to look!

Unknown said...

Why have I never marinated tempeh before? I love the stuff, but I usually just cook it the bacon way or with a bit of soy, vinager and water. thanks for the great idea!

Teresa said...

I'm a huge garlic freak myself, and I believe that garlic breath is never a bad thing! Do purple potatoes taste very different from regular gold/yellow potatoes?

-Teresa
btw, i've been reading your blog for a long time and am so impressed with you cooking abilities and dedication to your health, especially at such a young age. I'm jealous of all the free stuff you get too.

Dori said...

You can keep the "crummy" picture, but I'll take the good looking purple stuff. :) Have a good weekend!

primaryconsumer said...

Johanna3-thanks, it was really refreshing!

Nikki-I've gotten purple potatoes at different health food stores and also the co-op that I shop at. I think it's just a seasonal thing.

Megan-glad I could help! :)

Theresa-I think there's just a slightly different taste, a little bit sweeter.

Dori-Hehe!

KleoPatra said...

LOVE THE COLORS!!!!!!!